Barbara,

Thanks for your comments. I probably should have included
the whole program but if I had I would have missed your
like(newXxx) trick in your prototypes. I will try your example
when I get home. Hopefully, I just missed something simple.

I'll try the stubby pencil at the Info Center. In the past they
have been amazingly responsive. From what I tried there
were a few typos in the example, which makes me wonder
if they have heard about cut-and-paste. I think I'll also mention
that the | characters are great for locating new stuff, but they
are really a pain when you try to cut-and-paste from the
manual.

David Morris

>>> bmorris@ca.ibm.com 12/17/01 11:49AM >>>

>Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:55:27 -0700
>From: "David Morris" <David.Morris@plumcreek.com>
>
>I did find an APAR that mentions:
>
>5. When the class for an ILE RPG Java native method is in a
>  package, the class name must be qualified.  For example:
>        extproc(*java:'MyPkg.MyClass':'mymeth')
>  When Java tries to call this native method, the call fails
>  because the native method cannot be found.
>
>Hopefully I can download and apply it tonight and it fixes
>the problem. Not sure where I report PDF manual problems
>to. Also, I don't have software support so I can't report the other
>errors I have encountered, I will try to document them and make
>that information available with the code when I post it.

David, that PTF only applies to native methods; I think you're
having trouble calling a method.  There was another PTF SI02011
to fix a problem where Java calls would fail if the CCSID of the
source file was 65535, but that would have caused all the message
replacements to be blank, not just the signature.  (It's one of
the superseding PTFs to the other one you found, so you probably
already got it.)

The best place to report manual problems is by clicking the
Feedback button in the Info Center.  It's the button that looks
like a stubby pencil, near the top right corner.

For what it's worth, your program worked ok for me after I
added some stuff (constructors) - here's my whole program:

H thread(*serialize)
DjavaString       c                   'java.lang.String'
DjavaBigDec       c                   'java.math.BigDecimal'
DnewString        PR              O   EXTPROC(*JAVA:javaString:
D                                       *constructor)
D   val                         50a   varying const
DnewBd            PR              O   EXTPROC(*JAVA:javaBigDec:
D                                       *constructor)
D   string                            like(newString) const
DbdAdd            PR                  LIKE(newBd)
D                                     EXTPROC(
D                                      *JAVA:javaBigDec:'add')
D BigDecimal                          LIKE(newBd)
DBd               s                   LIKE(newBd)
DBd2              s                   LIKE(newBd)
DString           s                   LIKE(newString)

C                   EVAL      String = newString ('10')
C                   EVAL      Bd = newBd (String)
C                   EVAL      Bd2 = bdAdd(bd : bd)
C                   seton                                        lr

Barbara Morris