Jim,
I don't buy into the "what's wrong with it" argument. Meaning, you imply
that it is correct and needs justification to prove it wrong.

I don't really mind them; I just think that the "all or nothing" school
of design is lazy. People like me who do not have an $85 Billion/year
company behind them can afford to do certain things in an all or nothing
way. But when it impacts billions and billions of lines of code, it
should be done correctly.

Again, as I said, I don't mind it being confusing, after all, I doubt
most people will use the free form stuff in production. Now that doesn't
mean that 100 percent will NOT use it. I'm sure 100 two 200 RPG
programmers will use it. Most of them are on this list or my list. But
the vast majority of people won't bother with it. Why do I think this?
Because they already know RPG III or RPG IV and to them, those languages
are good enough.

Case in point, most people would love to have a built-in function to
convert character values (with decimals) to numeric. But we have 5 or 6
ways of doing the ADD operation in RPG instead. I guess the fixed format
ADD was too hard to use. <g> (Just kidding on that one.)

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the new on-line iSeries Forums at: http://www.rpgiv.com/forum

On