From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 6:52 PM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Array help

>I need to count the number of people for each
>age that work within the company

An alternative to arrays is SQL:
select age,count(*) from ... group by age order by 1
fetch each record and do what you need.

Arrays have an advantage if you need to know what ages are not present in
your dataset - the element will be zero.  SQL has an advantage if you need
to do the same sort of calculation on a very diverse dataset like postal
code, where the number of elements would be impractical without developing a
hash function.  It also has an advantage in that you can readily sort the
results by descending count viz.: order by 2 desc.

Buck Calabro
Commsoft; Albany, NY
Visit the Midrange archives and FAQ at http://www.midrange.com
"As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than
 about what they can." -- Julius Caesar