  • Subject: Re: Why is SQL not using an index I created.
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:45:22 -0500

Brian,

I just ran the following:
CREATE INDEX ROB/rob2 ON ROB/AAAKEY (LOC ASC)
select * from rob/rob2
ROB2 in ROB not table, view, or physical file.
So it looks like you are right.

Do you know why you can use views but not indexes?  Or are the SQL gods
saying that 'you do not need to worry your pretty little head about which
index is most efficient, we will do that for you'?  I guess I don't have a
problem with that.  I was just hoping that someday we will have the
combination of an index and a view which is only doable via DDS currently.
If I create a view, and access that, will it still use the best index for
my sql request?  If so, I guess that isn't so bad.

If you are an all SQL shop.  However if I desire to build the combo of a
view/index, with SQL, and choose to use that with native file access in
RPGIV then I won't have all these features.

Rob Berendt

==================
A smart person learns from their mistakes,
but a wise person learns from OTHER peoples mistakes.

                    Brian Ellis

                    <bellis@wd-wpp.co       To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com

                    m>                      cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: Why is SQL not
using an index I created.
                    owner-rpg400-l@mi

                    drange.com

                    08/09/2001 11:05

                    AM

                    Please respond to

                    RPG400-L

You cannont specify indexes directly you need to specify the physical
table.  Let the SQL engine decide which is the best index to use.

RPG400-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com

david@midrange.com