  • Subject: RE: Activation Groups and Threadsafe
  • From: "DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:04:32 -0500

Frank,

You seem to be picking terms out of the air, here. Activation groups have
nothing to do with threading. I believe activation groups bear as much
resemblance to MRTs as your as400 appears to resemble a pocket calculator.
Sure, you can pick out one or two aspects of ILE that seem to be similar to
older technology you've abandoned. But, how long since you were that boy
playing with MRTs? 15 years? more? Gee, could IBM have really taken a decent
(though hard to implement) idea and made it better? simpler? faster? easier?
(Sorry for the rant, I've had this argument too many times with a former
boss who was reluctant to look at RPGIV because it reminded him of something
he disliked from years ago.)

If you truly believe that RPGIV makes programming MORE difficult, then you'd
better think about retirement asap, cause you've totally missed the boat.
IMO, more than 80% of the benefit of RPGIV is the improved readability and
maintainability of the code. Ignore (for the most part) the parts about
override scoping.

Threads are spawned processes. Think of SBMJOB and you've got the idea of
threading, though it does get a bit more devious. Don't worry about it too
much, since RPG doesn't support threading (afaik). It's more in the realm of
Java and Webshpere that you deal with threads.  Ingore the buzzwords and
study up on service programs, subprocedures, procedure prototyping, and
%Bifs. These are (to me) the best parts of RPGIV.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Sr. Programmer/Analyst
940-898-7863 or ext. 1863