  • Subject: RE: What are the benefits of ILE?
  • From: James David Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:48:08 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 SCarter@rsrcorp.com wrote:

> example 1:
>
> Payroll system we have a program that creates a list for payroll personnel
> of who is going to be paid, how much and so on.
> The actual program uses the axact same code to actually write checks but in
> a different source... Obviously the problem
> here is that when some thing changes we have to change 2 seperate source
> file and recompile blah,blah,blah.
> This seem perfect for using subprocedures/service programs in a rewrite..

I would agree with you.  This sounds like the perfect use.

> example 2:
> we want to standardize interfaces across the system.  is it worth it to
> create service programs to handle the screen interface
> or is this just an extra level of complexity that would get in the way?

It probably depends on each application.  Here is an example of what we
have done:

Many of our applications require the user to be authorized to use them.
Each user can have a different level of access to the various
applications.  We created a service program that allows us to avoid code
duplication in our programs provides a consistent interface to prompt the
user for a password.  Now none of our programs need to be aware of a
screen to do prompting nor do they need to be aware of the file containing
the authorization levels.  Instead each app can just use:

C       eval    err = getappauth(parms)

err tells us whether or not the authorization succeeded.  getappauth()
contains a prompt screen to enter a password (or it can be told not to
prompt by passing a parm).  So every application uses getappauth() and
automatically gets to use a prompt window (consistent interface) and
doesn't need to know the specifics of how the authorization is done (code
reuse).

James Rich
james@eaerich.com