  • Subject: Re: What are the benefits of ILE?
  • From: Kmh0421@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:35:12 EDT

I don't usually put my HO or NSHO into the ring, but this time I think I
must. I took a bit of offense at the condesending tone in this thread. I am a
consultant (although, I am not so sure it would be any different if I were an
employee).
As soon as I find a client who will let me sit and upgrade my knowledge at
their expense and learn and use ILE, and all the latest and greatest - I will
jump on them! Heck, they could have a huge discount.... but alas.. it hasn't
happened yet. I know, I know, learn it on 'my own' time at night and on the
weekends... this is also not quite realistic... unless you are a person
working in the world, who happens to have a stay-at-home partner (wife?) to
take care of little life things, like children, cleaning, cooking,
shopping.... I have no such luxury or time.
My DESIRE to use the latest and greatest is there.... My ability would be
there with time and experimentation........ but ahhhhhhhh, the execution and
time....  shoots me everytime....  Until I get such an opportunity, I read
this list - to get enlightened.
Respectfully;
Kathie

In a message dated 07/10/2001 2:17:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net writes:
Subj: RE: What are the benefits of ILE?
> IMNSHO ILE is not for the masses but the chosen few.
I would be shocked if there are as many as 10 programmers on this list who
make extensive use of shared ODPs, much less named AGs.  Service programs,
probably more than 10 <grin> but it is clear that the adoption rate is very
slow.  That's why we go through this "why ILE?" discussion so often.  There
is great resistance to change in the midrange programming world.  Very
great.
>IMHO this would be like saying that DLL's are for the chosen few PC
programmers.
How many PC programmers are _consumers_ of DLLs and how many are
_producers_?  There are no commercially available iSeries service programs
that I know of.  Every new ILE programmer will have to learn how to write
service programs on their own.  This is a scary idea for people who are
clearly afraid of change.

Very respectfully,
Buck