  • Subject: Re: Read multiple records in subfile window & update PF
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:46:39 -0700

Okay, maybe I understand a little better now.

You want to display 6 subfile records in a window, and allow the user to
select one by pressing the number of the subfile record.  Then the window
closes and you use that selection the user made to populate some fields
on your main display file.

Okay, what I would do:
1. Create a new display record in your display file that is a window, and
   that will contain one edit field, which is where the user will type in
   the number selection.
2. Create your subfile records.  Use OVERLAY in the SFLCTL record.
3. At run time when the user presses F4
   a. Display the window record.
   b. Load your subfile with the records to be displayed.
   c. Write the subfile record using EXFMT.  This will display the record
      in the window, and wait for input in the edit field you specified
      in the window record.  I am not sure how to immediately return once
      a key is pressed. You might have to research this, if it's even
      possible.
   d. Program wise you are going to need to determine which data corresponds
      to the number returned, 1 through 6.  The easiest way would be to load
      the records you are loading in the subfile into an array at the same
      time.
   e. Redisplay your main format.

HTH,

Regards,