  • Subject: Re: Printer Overflow and BIF's
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 10:35:07 -0700

RE: Printer Overflow and BIF'sHi Jim,

I'm not sure, but I would guess that using OFLIND is actually better because
it avoids error processing which I've been told more than once is expensive
in terms of processing time. I'm surprised that %error didn't work when you
did not specify an overflow indicator -- that quote from the manual flatly
says an error will occur if it's externally defined and no overflow
indicator is assigned.  Must be an error in the documentation <G>.

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice
909 425-0196 fax

P.S. Rob, if your remark about possibly being too harsh was directed at me,
not to worry. I didn't think of the Write PrintFile as indicating it was an
externally-defined print file although you're right -- it's unlikely Jim
would've named a data structure PrintFile. And since I can't remember the
last time I wrote a print program without assigning an overflow indicator,
I'm sure I couldn't remember that it assigns a default. Which of course
implies that you'll never get an error caused by overflow on an
internally-defined printer file.