  • Subject: Re: I hate Activation Groups....
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 18:00:19 -0500 (CDT)

Let's see, if I understand you you're doing this:

1) Calling a "CLP" (can I assume that's OPM CL? not ILE CL?)
2) It calls an RPG IV program which is compiled with "*CALLER".
3) The RPG IV program calls a service program that's compiled
       with ACTGRP(DAVE)
4) After the service program exits, it returns to the RPG IV
       program.
5) Now the RPG IV program ends.  Does it do so with LR on or
       off? You don't say.  It returns to the CLP.
6) The CLP does a RCLACTGRP ACTGRP(DAVE), which unloads the
       service program from memory.
7) Your CLP calls the RPG IV program again, and it can't find
       the service program.

My first guess would be that the RPG IV program is ending with the
LR indicator turned off -- in other words, it remains in memory.
Since it only resolves to the service program when it first loads,
reclaiming the DAVE activation group messed up it's availity to find
the service program.

If that's NOT the case, then perhaps it only resolves to the service
program once per activation group?  I don't know.

This seems like an awkward use of activation groups at best.   Wouldn't
it make more sense for the RPG program and the service program to be
in the same activation group?   or to have the CL program be ACTGRP(*NEW)
and the RPG and service programs both be *CALLER?

Or -- providing that you need the resources of the service program kept
seperate from that of the program -- why the heck are you reclaiming the
service program?  Just leave it there.