  • Subject: javadoc style comments and processing
  • From: "Tony Goodwin" <tony.goodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 21:55:02 +0100

I noted some time back that someone wondered if there was
a tool to extract the interface from a service program to
produce javadoc style documentation.

I saw no replies (other than barbara's whos the best person to add it to
the RPG compiler!!)

Anyway I am not promising same, but have come to problem
from another direction. I have created two tools to save
development and documentation time.

No 1. Adds comments to service programs in structured fashion
in essence to create a standard template. The tool creates
something like the following, from the original source
(the function declaration) to create the @params and @returns
etc.

/**--------------------------------------------------------
 * XXXXX Add DESCRIPTION HERE
 * @author XXXXXX
 * @version X.X
 * @param Lib
 * @param File
 * @param Mbr
 * @param Field
 * @param RRN
 * @returns XXXX add RETURN DESC HERE
 *-------------------------------------------------------*/
  *--------------------------------------------------------
 p AHI_display     b                   Export
  *--------------------------------------------------------
 D AHI_display     PI             1S
 D  Lib                          10A   Options(*Omit)
 D  File                         10A   Value
 D  Mbr                          10A   Options(*Omit)
 D  Field                        10A   Value
 D  RRN                          10P 0 Value

No 2 tool, takes the new service program source and parses
for javadoc style comments /** .... */ and creates HTML
source giving (a) summary list of functions in module and
references to detailed comment (the above bit)

Anyway after all that, I want to know if anyone would like
a handle on source for this. Its not in java (ILE RPG) -
I toyed with the javadoc code for the parsing, but decided
with licensing etc - wasn't worth the effort

I can either post here (dont think thats a good idea) or
I'll answer each privately, or post someplace common if they
will take it!! (dont we all get paranoid about our code
in case someone else doesn't like your style ?)

Tony