  • Subject: Re: Odp: Re: Fastest way to delete records.
  • From: "Jeffrey Demko" <jmdemko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:07:19

Yes a primary input with update, the old cycle is not dead!
No key processing for fast delete unless...

You have a logical already created, sequenced descending, over the infamous
10 million rcd file and setll by the highest date value
that can be deleted and read the remainder of the file in keyed sequence.
You would only be processing the target group which is slower than
sequentially processing the same group if you could.

You could create OPNQRYF and cpyfrmqryf to temp file as reference point, but
that eats up time.

New logicals for a 1 shot time deletion, takes the hit during creation.

When deleting rcds from any large physicals, check the # of logicals.
If such a deletion job is to be run off hours, chg the logicals to access
path maint to *DLY, this will also speed up the deletion.

Obviously chg back to *IMMED before the production day, open and close the
files to rebuild paths. Again you have to take a hit, but at the back end.

Any better ways?
Please inform.