  • Subject: Re(2): OPNQRY reference book
  • From: "Mike Naughton" <mnaughton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:38:08 -0500

Hello everyone,

Oops! I realized after I sent this that the question came on the RPG list,
and my reply was in CL . . . !! My apologies to anyone whom I offended --
I tend to use OPNQRYF in CL more than RPG, and I just wasn't thinking. . .
.

The same technique will work in RPG -- just fill a 1-char alpha field with
X'7D' and use it whenever you want to add a single quote to a string. . . .

With egg on my face,

RPG400-L@midrange.com writes:
>This is not specific to OPNQRYF, but when I need to use a single quote ( '
>) in a program, I like to fall back on a trick I learned way back in my
>Wang Basic programming days: use the hex value. The following code:
>
>DCL    &SQ *CHAR 1 VALUE(X'7D')     /* Single Quote (') */
>

>CHGVAR &MS VALUE(&SQ *CAT 'TEST' *CAT &SQ)
>
>will produce a value of &MS of 'TEST' (single quotes included in the
>value).
>
>This way, I am able to be really clear about when I am looking at single
>quotes that are supposed to be _part_ of the string value I am dealing
>with, and when I am looking at single quotes that _surround_ the string
>value I am dealing with. I never bothered to learn the single quote/double
>single quote/triple single quote/(etc.) rules, since this other way always
>seemed so much simpler.
>
>Of course, it also works well for any other character (tab, etc.) that is
>inconvenient (or impossible) to enter directly into your code. . . .
>
>hth,

Mike Naughton
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Judd Wire, Inc.