  • Subject: Re: justifying a character variable
  • From: "paul cunnane" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:39:07 -0000

With all due respect for your concerns, Lynette, it can't really be that
difficult to understand a line of code like

   evalr     output = %trim(input)

IMHO, this is the perfect way to introduce RPG III programmers to RPG IV:
start with little routines, illustrating how much easier certain things are
to do in RPG IV.  Gradually build up the complexity of these routines,
bringing the others with you as you go.  Usually there comes a point of
critical mass, when they realise that they just don't _want_ to write RPG
III code anymore.

I'm not trying to browbeat you; I understand that your situation is a
difficult one.  However, I left my last job partly in frustration at the
unwillingness of the boss to allow me to start development in RPG IV.  I
_knew_ there were things that I could do better in RPG IV, adding real value
to our product.  The answer was always that we couldn't take the risk of not
being able to find programmers who could do RPG IV.  Grr.

--
Paul