  • Subject: RE: justifying a character variable
  • From: "Lynette Chronister" <lchronis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:00:09 -0500

Buck,

>>Yes, I of course understand the abilities of ILE vs 400 levels
>Ah, well.  At least _you_ know what you're missing.
thanks, i think..

>>However, my company's main application is outsourced and written in >>S36.
>So how are you integrating your changes into the vendor's code?  (no >matter
>what language the changes are in)
We write small modifications being called from customized menus or have
procedures up front to call our 400 code.

>>Therefore, we have no externally described files to work with.
>"I" specs still work in RPG IV...  <grin>
<grins back>

>>We are a very small programming shop and have very little
>>need for the major advances of ILE vs the time it would
>>take to train the programmers.
>Sigh.  What training do even S/36 programmers need to understand how >to use
>meaningful variable names?  Fewer built-in limits?
With the size of our project backlog, 'reactive' style prioritizing, and only
15-20% of our workload actually involving programming, why advance to this
level knowing the current programmers arent going to even use the longer
variable names, etc?   And as i mentioned before a total system replacement
might be around the corner for us.

>The best of luck to you.
>I've been in your shoes and deeply sympathise with your plight.
As far as myself, yes, I personally would use the enhancements of ILE, but then
Im sure that everyone knows what happens when one spoke of the wheel turns
faster than the rest.

>Benchmark the run-time difference between evalr and Barbara's elegant >code
>and the various array-based code.  Give them numbers to show what >they're
>missing out on.
Them?... them is us, as i said, we are a very small shop, and we(the
programmers) make the decisions on sending ourselves for education.  But we
also have the responsibility of time management and realize the benefit of ILE
in our shop is not the same as it would be elsewhere.  We dont have the ability
to tell the vendor of our major application how to write their material.

>That's how I got my first RPG IV program into production.
>If your longest processing program can have it's run time cut bu 20% >(not
>unreasonable) by converting to RPG IV and re-compiling, your company >just
>got a 20% bigger CPU.  For free.
Again, OUR longest processing program if converted to ILE would not be noticed
at all.

But thanks for the suggestions, and the program, I was using arrays as well,
but my code was a lot longer.  I always tend to do things the hard way.  This
helped!!

Lynette