  • Subject: Re: RPG/400 Definition (was Using VARLEN DDS keyword)
  • From: Mel Rothman <melrothman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:15:11 -0600

At the risk of disagreeing with Bob Cozzi:

1) IBM trademarked RPG/400 ( see http://www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.phtml#R )

2) The manuals for the AS/400 OPM RPG are named RPG/400 Reference and RPG/400
User's Guide

The latter says "This RPG/400 User's Guide is intended to help you create
RPG/400 programs.  This RPG/400 User's Guide documents general-use programming
interfaces and associated guidance information provided by the RPG/400
compiler.

3) The manuals for the AS/400 ILE RPG compiler are named ILE RPG for AS/400
Programmer's Guide and ILE RPG for AS/400 Reference.
The latter says: "This guide provides information that shows how to use the ILE
RPG for AS/400® compiler (ILE RPG) in the Integrated Language Environment®. ILE
RPG is an implementation of the RPG IV language on the AS/400 system with the
Operating System/400® (OS/400®) operating system. Use this guide to create and
run ILE applications from RPG IV source."

Netting it out, it appears that

- RPG/400 is the name of both the language and the compiler for AS/400 native
OPM RPG.

- RPG IV is the language and ILE RPG for AS/400 is the compiler for AS/400
native ILE RPG.

I don't think it is a crime to use ILE RPG (the compiler) and RPG IV (the
language) interchangeably.

Mel Rothman