Is there still a CRTPGM "MI" instruction?  The ODT (object definition
template) was one of the pieces of the program template passed to the CRTPGM
instruction - parameters used to create the program.  CRTPGM validated the
template then called #XLATE to convert the template into hardware
instructions.  Other pieces of the template included the OES (object
extension specification) and the MI stream.  The MI stream was a hex
representation of the program that was created by the PRM (program
resolution monitor, a rather pompous name for a fairly simple thing).  The
PRM started with a program named QPRPH01P and its kids.  The PRM read IRP
from a space object created by the language compilers, validated it, then
generated the ODT, OES, MI stream, and some other bits.  Phase 3 of the PRM
(QPRPH03P) executed the CRTPGM instruction.  IRP is the proper name for what
we call MI today.  It is strictly not MI but it is a more-convenient name
for it.

I can imagine that W-code would have its own set of limitations - stack size
for example.  And W-code is one of the steps to an executable program.  If I
recall correctly, it is part of the CUBE3 architecture.  Glen Sakuth wrote
the first version for AS/400.  When he had it mostly done, he bragged that
it was perfect and unbreakable.  You might imagine the reaction from the
rest of the Toronto lab.  By the time it shipped, I am reliably informed
that it was _thoroughly_ tested.

(speaking for myself)