The way you do this is to NOT use a field, ONLY use a pointer that is first
Allocated to 1 record, and then Reallocated for an additional record each
time you read another record in.  This creates a completely dynamic and
contiguous memory block that holds the records for the file.  The externally
described Data Structure to the file is Based on a Pointer, and you
re-calculate this pointer to the correct position in the dynamic memory
block.  Under V4R4, you are supposed to be able to Allocate up to a terabyte
of memory, but there are special considerations for large memory blocks, and
you should read about these in the RPG Reference.

Another technique in the RPG Programmer's guide is to create a Linked List.
The problem with this is that it requires at least 2 pointers per record,
and possibly 3, and creates a lot of pointer management issues.  The above
technique requires only 1 pointer for the data, and an additional pointer
for the Based Data Structure.