  • Subject: RE: Character to Numeric
  • From: bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:27:39 -0500

Sorry, more dead-horse beating, but I feel obliged to follow up on this...

For what it's worth, the snippet C2N on this page
http://www.as400.ibm.com/net.data/tstudio/workshop/snippets/newsnip.mac/viewall
has been corrected.  The "correction" I posted earlier with the (hr) and
%inth works for _almost_ all input, but it has a problem with 30-digit
input.
I don't think there's a single-line arithmetic solution for the calculation
of (n / 10 ** decpos) that will work when n is "all 9s".

So the snippet calculates the power of 10 separately and then uses DIV to
get
the final answer.

I'll see what I can do about getting the one here:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QB3AEQ04/6.3
fixed too, at least in a later release.

I have to say I've always felt a bit bad about not doing more to get
that snippet corrected.  I had made a half-hearted attempt a while
ago, but obviously if I'd tried harder, I could have got it corrected
then.

I urge everyone who finds factual errors in the manuals, including
incorrect coding examples, to contact IBM and report the errors.  The
information about how to contact IBM is at the front of every manual.

To paraphrase Asimov's first law of robotics:

1.A programmer may not injure a fellow programmer, or, through
  inaction, allow a fellow programmer to come to harm.

Barbara