  • Subject: Re: Feedback wanted on Net.Data, E-RPG and Java...
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:54:47 -0600 (CST)

Frankly, the whole idea that you might not be able to do CGI in RPG
doesn't make sense to me.   All the web server does to handle CGI is
call a program and pipe the input to the program's "stdin", then expect
output (which, BTW doesnt have to be HTML, although it usually is) from
the program's stdout.   It doesn't (or at least SHOULDNT) care what type
of source code the program was compiled from!

Why reduce flexibility, and make the server more complex by making it
language-specific?  It does not make sense!

Frankly, if IBM did somehow/someway drop support for anything but
servlets, I promise you I'd immediately stop using my AS/400 as a web
server.   A UNIX-like  web server is ALREADY cheaper, more flexible, and
better supported than the AS/400.  The ONLY advantage to the AS/400 as a
web server for me is the ability to use my business logic thats already
written in RPG.