"tag bits" and "pointer bits" are the same thing.  They are called "tagged
pointers" and "pointer tag bits".

You may recall that the System/38 main storage page frame was 512 bytes and
that a System/38 disk sector was 528 bytes.  You might ask yourself what was
stored in the other 16 bytes?  Lesse, 1 tag bit per 16-byte aligned quad
word equals 32 bits or 4 bytes.  They must have stuffed the virtual address
in there somewhere or a 3F10 (storage management rebuild) wouldn't have
worked and that would represent another 41 bits or just over 5 bytes.  That
leaves almost 6 bytes for Pac-Man!  Or, maybe some owner information?  Just
imagine if main storage words were actually 65 bits long?  Couldn't you
think of something cool to do what that extra bit?

The System/38 memory layout was different than the RISC boxes but the 38
information was in the Theory of Operation section in the System/38
processor service manuals and in the IMPI manual.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com
Voice: 1 (303) 808-8058