  • Subject: RE: page n of x
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:28:33 -0400

John Hall,

I had created a test RPGIV to see how well John Carr's two-pass approach
would work.  I also had attempted to use an external indicator to suppress
printing on the first pass (I used QSYSPRT).  But as you said, it didn't
work in RPGIV (returned total pages of zero when indicator was off).

As far as overriding to NULL device, you can override to an OUTQ that is not
attached to a writer, and then delete the printout from the first pass.

I sure don't understand the benefit of using an API, just to get the total
pages to print.  It took me longer to write these posts, than it did to code
the test programs.  And the 2-pass solution _worked the first time_.  Can
you say that of the API approach?  Maybe I'm missing something.

jt