  • Subject: Re: Poll: e-RPG
  • From: David Dunfield <ddunfie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 09:17:09 -0400

Why no use waht we already have? Our jobs are to create quality applications for
our users as quickly as possible. We have 3 very experienced RPG programmers (15
years plus each RPG, over 3 years VARPG and 5 years RPGLE). The open account at
IBM crack is way off. By continuing to comit resources to RPG we are locking
ourselves into IBM.

Don't get me wrong. AS/400 is the finest system available, but by using LANSA we
can deliver rapidly applications on green screen AS/400, Web Based AS/400,
Windows and Unix platforms also.

The Lansa model carries all business rules in a central repository. Once
entered,
the rules are enforced in ALL Applications created. If changed, the applications
do not have to be recreated. All our developers can be working on the same
application at the same time (try that with VARPG) and the entire application is
crossreferenced (try changing a database file on your AS/400 and then figuring
out all the VARPG applications affected).

Bottom line, my RPG developers uning Lansa can run circles around RPGLE and
VARPG
developers, and when I need additional developers, I can train them in Lansa to
support all of the above platforms, with almost immediate productivity. I don't
have to look for the  new RPG programmer being trained by all the universities..