  • Subject: Re: You're all REALLY missing the point (Was: NOTICE to IBM: You're all miss...
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:14:24 EDT

Leslie,

In a message dated 6/5/00 10:08:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
leslier@datrek.com writes:

> What you suggest is highly improbable, I think because IBM would rather
>  hang on to a dying AS/400 than release it and watch someone make a mint
>  with it (Microsoft). We can't make suggestions like this to IBM and I am
>  sure that the business minds up there have thought of it and decided
>  against it because they are still gun shy from their experience with
>  Microsoft.

I _KNOW_ that.  Just seems to make business sense if you're trying to toast
the division anyhow.  You don't _LIKE_ the division, you're going to take a
_HUGE_ hit in customer and personnel loyalty when it folds 'cause everyone
knows you're treating it like a red headed step-child so, sell it to someone
else and let _THEM_ take the blame when it fails!  Good business acumen, IMO.

>  My dad used to say; - this is a rather vulgar statement and I apologize
>  in advance but there is no better way to put it - wish in one hand and
>  piss in the other and see which fills up faster. Making arguments like
>  this to IBM is like making a wish; IBM would most likely reply that they
>  would consider your request/demand and nothing further would come of it.
>  However, if we could show IBM "physical evidence" that would lead them
>  to the conclusion we desire - evidence that offered them a potential
>  profit - then we could be sure of some action being taken.

The "clean" form of that statement is to "spit" in the other.

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"There is one difference between a tax collector and a taxidermist -- the
taxidermist leaves the hide." -- Mortimer Caplan