  • Subject: Re: PDM/SEU
  • From: "M. Lazarus" <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 23:37:27 -0400

Doug,

At 5/31/00 06:45 PM -0400, you wrote:
>  There's a real situation that exists, though, for consultants.  The
>*reality* is that we're not always supplied w/ the proper tools.  "Tools"
>includes the proper hardware, licenses, etc. to run Code/400.

Why is it that the perception is that the client must provide the
consultant with tools?

If you hire a building trade contractor, don't they bring their own
tools?  If you hire a heavy equipment operator, don't they bring their
own tools?  Who other kind of contractor *doesn't* provide their own tools?

 What other kind of contractor is saddled w/ restrictive licensing issues??  Does your backhoe's purchase agreement say that you can only work in medium size jobs (CPU's), not larger ones? Or you can only use it on your lawn, but not others?  If CODE/400 licensing doesn't follow that analogy, so be it, but the Midrange software industry licensing model is generally not kind to consultants.  The one notable exception that I know of was Paul Conte's product (Flex/Edit.)  Bob Cozzi's may also be, but I'm not sure.

Every copy of ADTS includes the AS/400 support for CODE/400 (as I
understand it anyway), so if they have SEU they also have a license
for the 400 side of CODE.  I don't even think it requires loading
another product option on 57xx-PW1 (ie ADTS).  Perhaps PTF's are an
issue -- but since I don't use CODE, I'm not in a position to say.

 There are setup issues that (based on the some of the msgs posted here) are not trivial, especially if the product is not the shop's standard.

Why shouldn't the consultant take along his own copy and a laptop?
(I'll show my ignorance here of the CODE/400 license terms.  Can't you
use your own copy to connect with multiple machines?)

 I don't know about you, but I do not find a laptop comfortable to work with for long periods of time.  This will negatively effect my productivity.  Also, have you ever tried to convince shops to allow you to tap into their network w/ you own equipment?

 -mark