  • Subject: Re: Windows As A Development Workstation
  • From: pcunnane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Paul Cunnane)
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:40:41 -0700

With all due respect, I think it's unfair of you to compare Windows to
*real* operating systems like OS/400, VMS, AIX etc. My copy of W2K cost less
than $500, OS/400 cost us $50,000. I think it's reasonable to expect more
from the latter.

If you want to make a valid comparison, then compare it with DOS, OS/2, Mac,
and now Linux. I don't know about you, but I've used all four of them and
had them lock up to the point that a reboot was required.

     Respect noted and reciprocated, but I'll go head-to-head with W2K vs
     Linux anytime.  My lil' SuSE box has been up for 23 days (and it was
     down only to be physically carried to another room), despite just
     today re-compiling the entire desktop environment (Gnome 1.2).

In any event, I'm not interested in an OS debate. I use the best tool for
the job and avoid getting religious about it. My original point was that if
you are avoiding the move to a PC based editor simply because of the
unreliability of Windows, you don't have to let that stop you anymore.

     Agreed that an OS debate is unproductive.  If, however, your choice of
     PC client is not Windows, you are dramatically short on options for an
     advanced source editor.  (Once again, any takers for RPG and CL Emacs
     modes? :)

     --
     Paul