It is my understanding that the Java model is to allow "extensions".  In
other words everything must run on the basic virtual machine but you as a
Java implementer can build your application so that it can check and see
if there is an "extension" available, and if so, use the extension instead
of the basic piece.  That allows every application to meet any needs of
specialized developers and platforms (like the AS/400) yet insures that if
another Java implementation shows up, it will at least run in a basic way.

The Sun-Microsoft war I believe is about how the basic piece fits in
there.  Sun's claim is that Microsoft has "enhanced" Java  so that it
won't run well, if at all, on non-Microsoft virtual machines.  I take it
that Microsoft has essentially destroyed or crippled the underlying basic
pieces and used "extensions" in such a way that your Java implementation
won't run on Windows platform machines unless you pay the Renton tax.

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

"Bale, Dan" <DBale@lear.com>