  • Subject: RE: Service Program Question.
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:23:51 -0700

I can see how _very_ careful planning could allow you to do that.  You do
have to make sure that a routine that gets called thousands of times in a
batch process is not *NEW.  I think the danger is in having to rely on very
careful planning.  Some idiot like me could come along and ruin everything.
<g>

I think your approach can work, but I'm not sure it would work for me.  To
tell the truth, I haven't found a good use for a named activation group yet
either.  "Reg" resource scoping seems to fit all the jobs we run.  No shared
open data paths, no special file override considerations, no commitment
control.  I tend to compile everything *CALLER.  I know that that's not
considered good practice either.