  • Subject: Re: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!
  • From: "oludare" <oludare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:50:38 -0400

Let's here from the HORSE's mouth, IBM:
===============================

The Integrated Language Environment introduced with OS/400 Version 2 Release
3 and the new RPG IV language definition in Version 3 Release 1 writes the
next
chapter on RPG and AS/400 programming.

RPGIV
=====
RPG IV, as realized through the ILE RPG/400 compiler, joins the family of
Integrated Language Environment (ILE) languages. ILE provides the ability to
efficiently modularize applications. Applications are now built by using a
collection of smaller modules. The benefits of ILE RPG/400 are realized with
the
ability to build, change and maintain code in smaller modules. When you
build
modular applications in ILE RPG/400, you compile and bind smaller functions.
The increased compile time is offset by the fact that the modules being
created
are smaller.

ILE
====
ILE is an architectural change to language compilers and the runtime
characteristics of AS/400 programs. It is an extension to the architecture
which
means that your existing programs continue to run without changing and
recompiling. ILE is available with Version 2 Release 3 of OS/400.
Integrated Language Environment is tightly integrated into the Operating
System/400. The key benefits for the new ILE environment are:
· Language Integration. Application programs are developed using the
language mix best suited to perform each required function.
· Reusability. Code from supported languages is divided into smaller,
reusable, more logical modules that compile faster and require less
maintenance over their life.
· Performance. Capability is provided to optimize code in compute-intensive
applications and to reduce the time to perform inter-program calls.
Integrated Language Environment increases developer productivity by
providing
the capability to divide code into smaller, more logical units that compile
faster.
The system binder combines the compiled modules to create the application
program. In addition, the separation of compilation and bind steps provides
more flexibility packaging the application.
The new source level debug tool that supports the ILE languages provides
enhanced capability over the system debugger with the new feature to debug
at
the source or listing level of the program. Step, breakpoint, and
conditional
breakpoint functions have been provided. Expressions are entered and
evaluated using the syntax of the programming language being debugged. The
current system debug facility remains unchanged for programs developed
outside ILE.