  • Subject: Re: 'ILE RPG' or 'RPG IV' . What's the difference!!!
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:08:21 -0500

Sorry.  I don't often see it assumed that RPG means RPG IV.
If I had looked enough I would have seen RPG and RPG III.

eric.lehti@fike.com on 04/06/2000 04:58:59 PM
To:     Rob Berendt/DEKKO@DEKKO, RPG400-L@midrange.com@Internet
cc:
Fax to:
Subject:        'ILE RPG'  or 'RPG IV' .  What's the difference!!!

Rob,
No rewriting is needed to get the 'AS/400 Programmer's Handbook' up to ILE
RPG.  The book has many examples coded in ILE RPG (RPG examples below are
ILE RPG, or RPG IV).

'RPG IV' or 'ILE RPG'.  Ah, what a discussion we could have!

I recently attended a seminar hosted by Bob Cozzi, the author of 'The Modern
RPG Language', an acknowledged guru of RPG.  At the outset, he addressed the
issue:  Is it ILE RPG or RPG IV?  He stated that many people use the term
'ILE RPG' when they are actually referring to 'RPG IV'.
He gave a technical explanation of what ILE really is, referring us to the
'ILE Concepts' manual and to the ILE RPG for AS/400 Programmer's Guide, and
to the 'ILE RPG/400 Reference'.
My mind doesn't retain the particulars of his explanation, but Bob Cozzi
uses the term 'RPG IV' more than 'ILE RPG'.
What term does everyone else use?  Do you differentiate between RPG IV and
ILE RPG?  Are you aware of what each refers to?