  • Subject: Re: Restrict jobs CPU usage
  • From: "C. Alan MArtin" <songbird@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:45:09 -0500

We usually try and keep CPU usage at 70-80%. We have a lot of interactive
jobs running at the same time (taking phone orders from customers).
Of course if you have a heavy conversion program or batch job that wants to
hog CPU, you can create a separate pool for jobs that have to run
immediately. Change priority on any low priority batch job that seems to be
piggy. Use WRKACTJOB to see who the offending members are.
Do a WRKSYSSTS and check out % of ASP (Aux Storage Pool) that is being used.
Our CPU may look maxed out, but if the % of ASP is acceptable, then you
don't have to worry.
Look at the Wait-Inel (wait to ineligible) column on the WRKSYSSTS screen
again. If the pools are below 10%, all is well. Otherwise, adjust the MAX
Act column for the pool in question until it comes down to under 2%.
Check out the red book "AS/400 Performance Management " for exact numbers
for these settings and a better explanation.
.
C.A.