  • Subject: RE: ILE D-spec question
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:27:18 -0800

I'm confused.  I'm at v4r3 and don't get those results.

I've been using the method taught to me by CVTRPGSRC which isn't very
elegant or intuitive.

I wrote a test program that defines an array over a data structure in two
ways.  array is defined as 20 long and overlays the first position of the
data structure as in the example below.  array2 is the CVTRPGSRC method
defined as occupying positions 1 through 20.  Here's my sample code
(virtually bug free, since it has a minimum of executable statements <g>)
followed by the values shown by debug when I run it:

 *************** Beginning of data *******************************
D cells           ds
D cell1                          5    inz('1')
D cell2                          5    inz('2')
D cell3                          5    inz('3')
D cell4                          5    inz('4')
D array                         20    overlay(cells ) dim(4)
D cells2          ds
D cell12                         5    inz('1')
D cell22                         5    inz('2')
D cell32                         5    inz('3')
D cell42                         5    inz('4')
D array2                  1     20    dim(4)
C                   eval      *inlr = *on

 EVAL array
 ARRAY OF CELLS(1) = '1    2    3    4    '
 ARRAY OF CELLS(2) = '                    '
 ARRAY OF CELLS(3) = '                    '
 ARRAY OF CELLS(4) = '                    '
 EVAL array2
 ARRAY2 OF CELLS2(1) = '1    '
 ARRAY2 OF CELLS2(2) = '2    '
 ARRAY2 OF CELLS2(3) = '3    '
 ARRAY2 OF CELLS2(4) = '4    '

Is it too late in the day for me?  Looks like array has all four values in
cell 1 while array2 has one value in each cell.  I'd rather do something
like the definition of array just because it looks nicer.