  • Subject: Re: simulated SETLL with SQL
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:19:11 -0700

Walter,

Based on your description, I think you will need a dynamically prepared
statement.
This will allow you to change selections, and order by based on the user input.
 Because
this is one of the most flexible ways you can use SQL, it is somewhat slower.
How slow
will depend mostly on the available indexes and selection being run. The main
change you
would have to your application is a variable that stores the select statement,
and an
SQL prepare that prepares the statement.  I like to put the SQL code in a
separate module
that only handles retrieving the records.  Midrange Computing has an example of
a module
that will run an SQL statement dynamically and return records.  You can find
that example
at:  http://www.midrangecomputing.com/ftp/prog/99/991205.zip

David Morris

>>> mwalter@netrax.net 03/20/00 12:44PM >>>
Hello all,

Welcome back all who attended COMMON. I hope everyone found the conference
stimulating.

I am attempting, for lack of a better term, a "work with" screen in which I
want to dynamically change the sort order of data in a subfile. I have a
window with a single choice field to select the sort order. I am doing all
of the record selection with SQL. (declaring a cursor, opening the cursor,
fetching the rows into the subfile, closing the cursor)

My problem is the original screen (which had only one sort) had a position
to field. I need to know how to simulate a SETLL and READ with SQL. I would
also like to know if I can place the sort field into a host variable.
Currently I declare and utilize a different cursor for each possible sort.

thanks in advance

Mark Walter