RPG doesn't have a dereferencing operator.  You need to declare a based
variable in order to dereference a pointer.  Pointers in RPG have no data
type and can't be type cast in the conventional sense.  You also need a
based variable in order to define the length and data type of storage that
begins with the address contained in the pointer.  I haven't tried it, but I
believe you can base more than one variable of different data types on a
given pointer and get interesting (and maybe useful) results.

I've been under the impression that pointers in RPG were mainly useful for
API and C library calls, but I could be wrong.  There's also dynamic memory
allocation applications like redimensioning arrays, linked lists, and trees.