  • Subject: Re: Record Number / RPG cycle
  • From: "Tadashi K." <tadashii@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:04:27 +0900

Hi, Carl,

I'm a Japanese programmer and I'm an old geezer, too <g>. For me, an RPG
cycle is a light and rapid method. And OPNQRYF or SQL can be a solution for
problem of the RPG cycle.

I think the RPG cycle is a kind of godsend software. A genius made such
routine, I believe. It is a sort of an art...

Sorry for my poor English. I like the word 'old geezer' in your message. I
can study English in this list, too. :-)

Best regards.

Tadashi

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:23:05 -0330
"Carl Pitcher" <cpitcher@roadrunner.nf.net> wrote in "RE: Record Number / RPG
cycle":

  > Maybe I can be officially included in the "old geezer" section for this
  > reply ... if you define your file as input, primary and don't specify key,
  > just set up a counter as the cycle processes the file sequentially and
  > you've got yourself the record number in ascending sequence.  Without using
  > the cycle,  an alternative method is to use the file information data
  > structure (binary 397 - 400) for the relative record number.  This method
  > would probably force most of us to get out the manuals for the INFDS layout.
  > It's a matter of choice but let's not get rid of the cycle without coming up
  > with a new name for RPG.  Suggestions for a new name anyone?

                       Tadashi Kakefuda
 The Internet Mail Address ; tadashii@tk.airnet.ne.jp
   * Official site ; http://www2c.airnet.ne.jp/as400/