  • Subject: Re: CL arithmetic -- conclusion
  • From: PARKIB@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:54:28 +0000

 >I've thought the same thing myself.  Under the ILE concept, it would be nice
use
 >RTVxxx command within RPG. My first thought might be a CL calc spec
....  whoa,
 >wait a minute, did I say ILE?

 >You bet I did.  Let me ask this: is there an ILE CMD?

 >I don't think so, but those CMD members do call some sort of program.  Now if
 >that program (RPG/CL/PLI/C)  is an ILE module why couldn't you call, from
RPG,
 >what the command calls?

 >Now I haven't done this, but if one did a DSPCMD of OVRDBF to find out
what the
 >CPP
 >was, why not call the CPP from your RPG program and not worry about doing
command
 >calls?

 >Just a thought.

 >>Joe Teff wrote:

 >> <<snip>>
 >>
 >> As far as doing the CL commands inside RPG, I do that as much as
 >> possible myself. Just wished that I could use RTVxxx commands in RPG and
 >> get the variable returned.
 >>
 >> Joe Teff

James/Joe - might I suggest you consider the many System API's that exist
now in
OS/400.  In particular, there are a large number of Retrieve and List API's
which provide exactly the type of thing you are suggesting.

Most of the API's require only a dynamic progam Call - so can be used by any
language (including CL).  These API's are all program objects, have names
beginning with 'Q', and (usually) have the 4th letter in the name as 'R'
(retrieve) or 'L' (list).  For example, QUSROBJD and QUSLOBJ.

Retrieve API's provide similar capabilities to RTVxxx commands, passing
information back as an unformatted parameter.  List API's are similar to DSPxxx
commands with *OUTFILE, only they dump results to a User Space object.

A smaller subset of API's begin their names with 'CEE'.  These are procedures,
so can only be called from an ILE language.  These API's are delivered through
system-supplied service programs.

Most RTVxxx and DSPxxx commands now have an API equivalent.  The latter are
faster, more flexible and provide more function than the commands.  You'll also
find that although more coding effort is required in the short term to use
them,
maintenance is easier in the long-term.

In addition to the Retrieve and List API's, there are many others which perform
some really handy functions.  Take a look at the System API Reference Manual.
Hope this information is useful.

Brian Parkins, AS/400 Instructor, IBM Learning Services
4N Alencon House, BASINGSTOKE, Hants  RG21 7EJ
Telephone: +44 (0) 1256 344445 - Internal 314445
Fax: +44 (0) 1256 356379
e-mail: brian_parkins@uk.ibm.com