  • Subject: Re: Runtime KLIST change?
  • From: Frank Steinjan <fstone@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:57:07 +0100

Hi Peter, hi Booth!

It would be even for me interesting to know how this example will solve my
problem? As I understood right the pointer only point to the first byte of the
DS
which holds or references my record. What I wanted to do (or what I wanted to
know is possible) is following, perhaps I described it wrong:

I got two file:    file_a          and              file_b
 with a key of       field_x                          field_y
                           field_y

the files are identical with the exception of that field_x!
I got two different environments on the AS/400 for different branches and I
wanted to have only ONE Program!!! which could be compiled to those two
independend environments without changing the source of the program. Because I
really don't know how RPG handels a CHAIN to a file internally so my guess was
that deals with a reference to the KLIST and/or to his fields which he checks
for
existens at compile-time.
But it is more than this! You can't cheat the compiler with pointers as KFLDs
:-)
Maybe this was very naiv but I think there is a way to handle
runtime-access-pathes in RPG like you can do it within embedded-sql, don't you
think so????? So what is the trick and where should I have to look for a
solution???

Greeetings to all .....

Frank