There's a couple of things on scroll bars that are relevant.  I was all
excited about them but am less so now.  First, to set a scroll bar you use
the regular keyword you use for SFLEND(*MORE) but insert *SCRBAR  like
this:  SFLEND(*SCRBAR *MORE).  That allows non-enhanced terminals to use
the regular *MORE display.

But beyond that:  if your users reverse their roll keys then the scroll
bar is all futzed up and doesn't know what to do, so it fails
ignominiously.  (I may be wrong  - I sure hope someone corrects me on this
point.)

Also, the scroll bar only scrolls the subfile itself, so it can't scroll
you to records you haven't loaded.  With big record counts a scroll bar is
not useful.  But, if you are loading the whole subfile they work fine.
You'll want to pass the record count into the DDS format SFLSIZE(&NBRREC)
where NBRREC is a field on the DDS screen defined as a P field.  That
allows the scroll bar's shaft length to reflect the relative size of the
displayed panel vs. the whole subfile.

A final point you may not pick up on as you fool around with the scroll
bar:  We're used to pages scrolling a page at a time;  the scroll bar
allows you to scroll partial pages, too, and, if you click the top/bottom
of the scroll bar, the records advance and recede one record at a time
which is useful to point out to users.

About the size of the subfile:  aside from all of the emotion of the
issue, I found that at some point between 2,500 records and 5,000 records
the "fineness" of the scroll bar adjustment became too difficult for most
users to control the panels and stop where they wanted to stop.  On a RISC
box I loaded a 5,000 record subfile in about 11 seconds.  2,000 record
subfiles are loading in 2 to 3 seconds.

there is a scroll bar sample at http://www.midrange.com/booth

Have fun.  (I'd love to hear how it turns out, and see a screen shot if
you were so inclined.)

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth