  • Subject: RE: SUBFILE FOR NON DISPLAY PROGRAMMING....(auto redim of arrays)
  • From: Alan Campin <Alan.Campin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:49:19 -0700

> By using a subfile I think we can define a certain number of entries, but
> have the entries extend themselves Automatically if more are needed.

Like I said on a previous post. Use a multiple occurrence data structure
based on a pointer and get a pointer to a user space. If you make the user
space extendable, it can grow and grow and the memory in your program just
represents the current record you are processing and blazing fast. I just
create the user space in QTEMP so everything cleans up when I am done.

> there's really no reason that we have to define the number of elements in
an
> array. The compiler should just extend it when it needs to.

The reason for this is obvious. Safety. The max dimensions on an array or
data structure is there to prevent a runaway. If your program goes into a
loop, you don't want to keep going until it consumes all the memory for that
job. Dim on a variable array or max occurrence just allows you to state what
is the max number of elements you can have.