  • Subject: Re: Null Capable Fields
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:57:54 -0400

Alan Campin wrote:

> I sure would like to know which Marketing genius at IBM came up the idea
> that you had to buy a "C" compiler in order to write SQL stored procedures.
> I can understand the need for SQL development kit although I don't think it
> is really needed but having to have a "C" compiler at $3,000 bucks! Develop
> a powerful new tools and then virtually preclude 99% of your customers from
> being able to use it! O'Well, guess I should get busy and learn NT.

Ok. Then add another $10K for database software. Unless you want the
enterprise to be served with data, then count on about $30-$40K. Then
add a command line. Now add a C compiler.

You want a cheap way to learn NT? Buy OS/2. It's cheaper. And, yes, you
can still get it. Didn't IBM sell $10M of OS/2 last year? Don't think
so? Check under hood of an NT machine. Look at the hidden stuff. Betcha
find the string "OS2" somewhere in there. You don't think Microsoft came
up with OS/2, errr.... NT all on their own, do you?

Don't get me started.....