  • Subject: Re: News400 RPG Source newsletter
  • From: Mark Lazarus <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 21:28:33

Gary,

>I don't
>think the amount of RPG coverage has changed significantly since the
>introduction of the newsletter. Any reduction in RPG coverage in the
>magazine that has occurred over the years would have occurred
>irrespective of the newsletter's existence.

 I would have to imagine that requests for additional coverage in News
(totally reasonable,
given the quick pace RPG is evolving) would get a response: "This is
already being done in the RPG Newsletter."

>It was possible for a person to know a substantial amount
>about all of its features. During that time RPG was at the center of the
>system. As such, the magazine covered RPG extensively.

 I doubt that too many people would complain about "too much" RPG coverage!

>I think all of us associated with NEWS/400 know that there is a large
>number of readers interested in RPG. Though the magazine is committed to
>providing solid RPG coverage, there are many who want more RPG articles.
>In an effort to provide increased RPG coverage for these readers, we
>launched The RPG Source, a tightly focused RPG specific newsletter. The
>cost of the newsletter, in my opinion, is more than reasonable.

 Most magazine publication is ad driven.  This is what usually pays for
almost the entire industry.  There are no product reviews to make this a
conflict of interest.  I suspect if the price were lowered significantly,
w/ the difference to be made up (or exceeeded!) by ads, your readership
would increase dramatically almost overnight.

>I'm sure some will maintain their skepticism, but I am sincere when I
>say that the decision to publish The RPG Source was not predicated on
>making a lot of money. It was to provide a service for our readers.

 While I (and probably most others reading this list) am convinced of your
sincerity, much of your target audience has the *perception* that this is
an additional revenue deal.  I certainly felt that way when MC introduced
the concept to the midrange world and felt similarly when Duke followed suit.

 I don't have any deep-pocket company shelling out for my education.  It's
all on me. Using the argument that "if you d/l any utility it's worth the
subscription price" is not valid.  News/400 would have to be $499 or more
per year!!  There's no way that would fly...

 -mark