  • Subject: RE: [Re: RPGILE V4.3 Gotcha]
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:33:25 -0700

Have you looked at the manual on precision for intermediate results for
eval?  The default precision will often produce downright odd results.  You
can use EXPROPTS(*RESDECPOS) in an H spec to make all  intermediate results
in expression evaluation have the same precision as the result field, or use
the "r" operation extender with eval.  The manual gives some interesting
cautions including that the result of the expression may only be a packed
field.

The default precision rule is designed to guard against overflow.  Of
course, we always do that in programming and data base design anyway. <g>
I've fooled around with the precision stuff some, and have had pretty good
results with the "r".  Personally, I'd rather that "r" were the default, and
try to guard against overflow myself.