  • Subject: RE: RPG IV program - comments requested
  • From: Scott Mildenberger <Smildenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:34:35 -0600

The code itself looks fine but a comment on how the program operates.  The
program reads through the whole file to update only a subset of records.
Depending on the number of records in the file this could be very
inefficient.  It would be better to create a logical file keyed by BSXTRL
and then use Trailer to SETLL and then use READE to only read the records
from the file that you need to update.  We always try and avoid reading
through the entire file unless we are doing something to all (or most) of
the records.  If a program reads all the records in a file then it's
performance will get worse as the file contains more records.

Scott Mildenberger