  • Subject: Re: Technical school
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 01:34:27 -0700

Sherry,

Two years of tech college and an associates degree may appear to be the same,
but
two years of "technical" college is narrower in scope around here.

An associates degree has more of the prerequisites for transfer to a four year
college, where a two year "tech" graduate is focused on the primary job
function.  Think of it as an apprenticeship without a mentor.

For example, a two year associates in computer sciences may require you to take
three courses in a single language, where a tech school may introduce you to
three different languages.

Or, a two year associates degree in business administration may require a
quarter
in 18th century English poetry, where a tech school would substitute that with
technical writing.  One could always read poetry on their own time ;-)

BTW, I didn't make this example up.  I had to pay for it or forgo a degree.   I
learned tech writing on my own time.

mailing list.  It's a broader scope list that gets into industry general issues
along with a myriad of technical aspects.