  • Subject: Re: CF-Spec - another call for opinions
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 9:40:23 -0500

The problem with SQL precompiler support for CL is that the precompiler
seems to be out of the hands of the Toronto labs.  Perhaps this is why the
precompiler lags so far behind the language.  (Lack of support for nested
/copy, etc).  But maybe in CL's case the precompiler and the CL would be
in the same hands.

People buy RPG, and now pay maintenance on software.  This allows upgrades,
enhancements.  People don't buy CL.  You would make a strong argument that
people buy OS/400 and pay maintenance on it and in effect they are TOO buying
CL and paying maintenance on it.  However it would take a lot of hooting to
get IBM to redirect budget from other area's of OS into CL.  Maybe CL is so
darn entrenched that is why we have the multiple API's without a companion,
easy-to-use, command.

rbruceh@ibm.net on 08/12/99 09:23:07 AM
Please respond to RPG400-L@midrange.com@Internet