  • Subject: RE: query in ILE RPG...
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 16:28:07 -0600

Ed & V,

In reality, if the program does any I/O it is unlikely you will be able to
perceive any difference.  However, the first time you need to modify a
statically called procedure and have to re-compile all of the programs
that it is statically bound to, you may wish you had used a dynamic call.
The overhead to locate, fix, and re-bind those programs will usually
exceed the overhead saved in 10 years of calls.

David Morris

>>> "Ed Komeshak" <kimosabu@mich.com> 08/07/99 11:04AM >>>
granted, it's not the most scientific method, but i recall doing some
benchmarking a couple of years ago.  i ran a program that did 1,000,000
calls to a OPM program and 1,000,000 static calls to an ILE program.  if i
recall correctly, the ILE calls ran in about 1/10 the time (cpu secs and
clock time) the OPM calls did.

my understanding is that ILE static calls are very similar in performace to
EXSR's.  so to answer your questions, two static calls should be quite a bit
faster than one dynamic call.

i would suggest running a similar benchmark on your machine.  please post
the results if you do.