  • Subject: Re: Testing procedures
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 04 Aug 1999 11:05:12 -0500

"Sherry McMahon" <smcm@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

<< snip >>

> within the RPGs.  I have successfully tested all my modifications
> (aw Scott, you'd be proud, I went from not quite sure how to write a
> conversion program for my PFs to making these programs spin like a
> Y2K top).

Very good, Sherry!

<< snip >>

> What has not worked well is the difference between what I thought
> the user understood and what the supervisor and the user of that
> division actually understood.  I sat down with them at the beginning

Yes, I also have problems figuring out what a user understands and
what he/she doesn't.   It takes a lot of patience :)

> and explained what I was doing, any differences they will see, asked
> if they could think of any difficulties that might occur because of
> the changes.  I gave them a week to think about it and at a second
> meeting discussed any concerns they had and came up with a solution.
>  During this week of testing every day there have been small things
> (example: queries they forgot to put on the list for me to change)
> and while this has not been a problem I can see it getting out of
> hand with the other, bigger divisions.

What I generally do is, first of all, as a programmer test everything
the best that I can.  I also ask another programmer to try to
"break" what I've done, which turns into a little contest to see
who can "break" whos code ;)

Finally, when this is done, I try to find a way to test it as close
to a "live" enviornment as I can.  You've only got 20-30 programs
per division, I'd recommend having them all done.   Put them in a
test area, and set up menus that look exactly like the ones that
your users normally use.

Capture the state of the databases prior to the end of a months
work... In our case we need to do perhaps 2 or 3 days worth at the
end of that month.  in your case, it may be more or less...  this
should be based on how your business works... what the "lifecycle"
of a record in the database is, etc.

Then, let it run until a few days after the start of a new month,
and capture a second set of databases.  This is your "after" set of
databases.

Now, in the test enviornment, "age" all of your data so that the end
of the month your testing is actually the end of December, 1999.
Then do all of the work that would normally happen during that cross-
month test period, hoping to match the "after" result that you saved.
This is where the users can help you, they can do all of their work
over again, the way they always do it...   When its all done, you
can compare the results in your test environment to the "after" set
of data, and make sure it matches.

> Now to my question.  Has anyone seen a standard 'before we begin'
> check list for me, the division supervisor and the main user to use
> as a guide that I can customize for the situation?  And a sign-off
> form?  Or could anyone give me some ideas on what they have used or
> how they have handled a situation like this?  Anything I have
> written sounds like a dictator ordering my troops.

IBM (and many others) have put Y2K info out on the web to help you
plan your Y2K project.  Take a look at some of those, maybe they'll
help you.  (you should be able to find something at www.ibm.com)

My opinion, however, is that you REALLY need to make your own
checklist.  After all, if the company needs someone who will write
and modify custom programs for them, they MUST have their own unique
needs that aren't going to be covered on someone elses list.

> I apologize if I've confused anyone. But you see why I'm asking for
> help with these two forms.  My writing skills are awful.  Any
> suggestions will be very much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sherry McMahon

Your writing skills are fine... at least in this message :)

Scott Klement
Information Systems Manager
Klement's Sausage Co, Inc.