  • Subject: Re: audit report
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:57:41 -0600

Kathie,

You may also want to consider using SQL for this type of report.  Depending
on how you have set up your files, it could be very easy.  To use SQL you
would need a left outer join and a union with an exception join.  This will
simulate
matching record.  The other thing that would help is the describe clause.  You
can use this to retrieve information about what is being selected.  You can
also
access the system files in SQL without worrying that their format will change.

Let me know if this sounds like a viable alternative and I will post more
information.

David Morris

>>> <Kmh0421@aol.com> 07/13/99 09:49AM >>>
Hello to all. I am currently writing a report that prints all records for a
customer from several files. Actually, instead of journalling, my customer
created an 'audit' file for each of their major files. There are transaction
types of add, change before, change after and delete. Each audit file has
different fields, they are carbon copies of their original PF. This report is
supposed to show only changed fields (with field descriptions), before and
after. What I am in the process of doing is this:
In the CLP, I DSPFFD to an outfile of all of the files. In the RPG, I read
this file and load an array with field names and descriptions. I read through
address book (customer master), and go out to each audit file to see if there
are changes for that day for that customer. The report has misc header info,
but the detail is only 4 fields... Type, Field Description, Before, After. If
there are records in a file for a given day, and it is an add or delete
record, I just print it in the before or after column. If change, I check
each field in the change before against the change after record, and print
only the 'changed' fields. So, far, I have just one file in the RPG, and I am
in the process of adding about six more. The code is already over 2000
lines..... At the very least, I am going to need to create a program for
everyfile, and somehow share the printfile so that each program can write
detail records to same report. Overall, although this is going to work, I can
help but think there must be a better way. Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
especially if you even read this far!!! Kathie