  • Subject: User space examples using List APIs
  • From: "Dan Bale" <dbale@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:48:15 -0400

I am looking for example code that shows how to process an API-created list in a
user space.  The V4R2 ILE RPG Reference has an example program in chapter 10
under a section titled "Basing Pointer Data Type"; the Softcopy reference is
2.3.8.1.  This example program happens to show how to use the QUSLMBR api, which
is exactly the one I was looking to use.  Unfortunately, it was (IMHO) poorly
written, and did not compile due to a syntax error.  I was able to fix that
error plus others so that the program compiled and runs, (correctly, I think),
but I'm having a difficult time fully understanding how exactly list processing
works.

In the particular example program, even though the initial size of the user
space is 9,999,999 bytes, it would appear that the maximum length of the usable
user space is 32,767 bytes (based on the D-spec for the SP1 variable).  But I
also see a reference to DIM(32767) for a 10-character array size that seems to
reference the list in the user space.

Is there reference material out there that explains this stuff?  Does anyone
have example code they could share?  I would also be interested in example code
that shows how to process a user index.