  • Subject: Re: nuther activation group question
  • From: "David Morris" <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:25:03 -0600

Scott,

There are many cases where named activation groups can be an
advantage.  File scoping is one case, especially when you are using
I/O modules.  The sharing of file information between I/O procedures
and triggered procedures is another.  I have found that the benefits
increase as applications are broken up into smaller pieces which are
used dynamically.  This is because it is necessary to cache application
information to improve performance.  Most of the cache in our case is
stored in user spaces, but quite a bit is also contained in static variables.

David Morris

>>> "Scott Klement" <infosys@klements.com> 04/16/99 01:38PM >>>
In my experiences, I haven't seen much use for named activation groups
and therefore, I don't use them.

The way that I'd do this is to have my initial CL program be
compiled with an activation group of *NEW.

Then, all of the programs that the CL calls (and they call, etc)
should be compiled with an activation group of *CALLER.

When the CL program finally ends, it'll end its activation group,
therefore ending all of the service programs.

The only reason I can think of to use a NAMED activation group
would be if you DIDN'T want it to be reclaimed when the initial
program in the activation group ends...  Which doesnt make sense
to me.

I suppose they could also be used in a scenario where you wanted
to scope file opens to one whole group of programs, and have a
different scope to another whole group of programs that were all
running (back & forth) under the same job... but I have never run
into a situation where this would be useful.

Maybe someone can point out what the use of named groups is?